The Muck is an attempt to recreate the 80s creature flick feel. Laverne arrives home after a strenuous workout and decides to relax by taking a bath. She strips down, settles into the tub, and closes her eyes. Serenity at last... or so she thought!
Influenced by recent "homage" period movies such as House of the Devil and The Sleeper, The Muck brings a lot of pride to the Scotchworthy team. Filled with stunning photography by Robert Patrick Stern, spot-on period detail from Production Designer Sarah Sharp, a spine-chilling soundtrack by DC McAuliffe, and the gory stomach-churning effects Scotchworthy's FX Supervisor Jason Kain has become synonymous with, The Muck is sure to make you think twice about taking a bath ever again!
The Muck was shot in October of 2013 in Bartlett, IL. Producers Tony Wash and Jim Petersen live in the house where The Muck was shot. "We decided to take advantage of the unique style of the interior of Jim's house by making the movie an 80s period piece." said director Wash. "The best thing about it is that the story, being a traditional monster movie, lends itself to taking place in the 80s so the location was perfect!" Shot over two days, The Muck has quickly become Scotchworthy's poster child. "The Muck embodies everything Scotchworthy strives to achieve with each film we make; great visuals and great story." commented cinematographer Robert Patrick Stern. The Muck made its world premiere at the SXSW film festival in Austin, TX on Saturday, March 8th, 2014.
"Tony Wash is one of the best independent horror filmmaking savants. Check out his gooey, flesh baring The Muck !
- Brian Kirst, Big Gay Horror Fan
• Official Selection SXSW 2014
• Official Selection Screamfest 2014
• Official Selection Stanley Film Festival 2014
• Official Citizen World of Death
• Official Selection Cucalorous Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Mile High Horror Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Chicago International Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Pollygrind Film Festival 2014 **
• Official Selection Telluride Horror Show 2014 **
• Official Selection Eerie Horror Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Idaho Horror Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Samain du Cinema Fantastique 2014
• Official Selection Celluloid Screams: Sheffield Horror Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Mayhem Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Oshkosh Horror Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Drunken Zombie Film Festival 2014
• Official Selection Melbourne Underground Film Festival **
• Official Selection Scream in the Dark Film Festival
• Official Selection Days of the Dead Horror Convention Film Festival 2014 **
• Official Selection Open Wound Horror Film Festival 2014 **
• Official Selection Florida Film Festival 2015
** Playing as part of a World of Death block of films.
Genre: Horror / Period (Creature/80s)
Run Time: 6 minutes
Key Cast Members: Callie Stephens
Key Crew Members: Tony Wash (Director/Exec. Producer/Writer/Editor), Robert Patrick Stern (Director of Photography, Gaffer), Sarah Sharp (Production Designer), Jason Kain (Special FX Supervisor), DC McAuliffe (Composer), Shea Villwock (Sound Design), Jim Petersen and Kevin Lockhart (Producers).
Content: Violence, Gore, Nudity